Friday, November 27, 2009

For people 18 or older: How is it they call Fall Out Boy emo now?

You know what I mean. How has the meaning of emo changed completely into a mainstream stereotype with chart topping success? Bands like Fall Out Boy, Hawthrone Heights, and My Chemical Romance sound nothing like actual emo. What brings about phenomon like these? The real question there is, why do labels create these bands? Do the major record labels just pluck things out of the underground at random and make them the "next big thing" with there millions of dollars? What was biggest moment where emo transformed? Was it when Jimmy Eat World was really big? When Weezer started sucking? Why did Weezer start sucking in the first place (other than line up changes)? How has myspace contributed to these awful changes? Has it encouraged the conformity we see today or just reflected it? Be specific. And don't bother to answer this question if you don't know what you're talking about/too young to remember. I could really ask this question about hardcore too but it's been asked many times before.



For people 18 or older: How is it they call Fall Out Boy emo now?

i would like to put in my 2 cents about this whole thing, im 25 by the way.



there is no phenomenon with this "emo" scene. this is something that large music corporations do all the time. look at what happened with rap in the early 80's, it went from underground to an almost overnight sensation. look at grunge, this genre came out of the post punk scene in the eighties also, but got more mainstream in the 90's. why you ask? because there is money to be made.



music companies have scouts that are constantly searching the country's hot spots for the next "big thing", the next money maker. hence why this type of music is popular now. teenage angst is a great marketing tool, this was the same case when nirvana, pearl jam and soundgarden made it big. sure there are some corporate bands like "good charlotte" that music companies manufacture to get a piece of the mainstream market, but not all bands are this way, some are actual ligitimate bands that tour for years before they make it big.



i grew up on the streets as a punk rock kid. i never like any emo kids for the simple fact that all they focus on is their damn "emotional problems" or any damn emotions for that matter. how is loathing on your problems, cutting yourself, diplaying it to the world and then complain that people judge you, how the f u c k is this helping you???



not only that, a lot of them try to act tough when they are alone, then you get them all by themselves, and the crumble in confrontation.



this is my personal opinion, you don't have to like it but this is what i think and what i have experienced personally with all of the "emo" kids.



For people 18 or older: How is it they call Fall Out Boy emo now?

fall out boy is not emo...same goes for mcr



For people 18 or older: How is it they call Fall Out Boy emo now?

Well, if it helps - which I'm sure it won't - I don't like the whole mainstream emo thing. Everyone is doing it, and I'll be damned if I do!



(Don't like being mainstream, you know...)



It's just a name tag, a genre they have to tag onto the music. In all fairness I can't stand my chemical romance - cos of the exagurating; I'm okay with them if I don't see video clips, but when I see that singer wailing away I just get bored with it.



And why or how it happened? Well, I'm over 18 - in fact I'm 22, so I'm well over 18 - but I like punk rock music. You know, the Cure and the likes. Also a big fan of the Smiths. At the time, my younger cousin - who is 18 herself at this very moment - wasn't into punk yet. She was into R%26amp;B music (and don't get me started on that) but then she started liking the music I always played, asking me where I found it etc... A year later everyone was liking it. It just happened. People rediscover a music genre and add a bit more to it. In this case, kids seemed to be pretty depressed and very emotional and that's what was added. That's what they call emo now (not saying it is, because from your question I can tell I know nothing about what real emo is...) and it's still bleeding here! And I suppose they're calling new punk bands emo now, because people think it's the new punk. And don't ask mainstream-minded people to tell the difference...



For people 18 or older: How is it they call Fall Out Boy emo now?

well i love fall out boy, and they are not emo. Hawthorne heights on the other hand, they have lyrics like "cut my wrists and black my eyes"....now that might be a little emo.



For people 18 or older: How is it they call Fall Out Boy emo now?

Emo was not a sterotype first. It has been a music genre underground since the 80s. The bands you listed, My Chemical Romance especially, are EMO. You are so dense I swear.



For people 18 or older: How is it they call Fall Out Boy emo now?

Agent tells Label: "We can make more money if we call Fallout Boy 'Emo'"



Label responds: "Great, I love it".



For people 18 or older: How is it they call Fall Out Boy emo now?

Because there are very many idiots in this world, who have no idea what they're talking about and think that if they label the music, that people will think them cool or whatever crap they come up with. Maybe they need to be labeled and pick some music, call it something else, then they can be called that to to get some of their self-esteem back, who knows these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
phone